Skip to main content

Herbed Tomato Crusted Mac and Cheese




Food Memories ~ The first food that I can remember is mac and cheese. I was only about three years old at the time and my mother told me that she would be working that evening. Which meant that my dad would be taking care of me and that meant only one thing ~ mac and cheese ~ You know that bright orange stuff that comes in a blue box? When my mom said she was working late, I remember being absolutely thrilled, but I knew even at that young age to hide my excitement or my Mom's feelings would be hurt. It's funny looking back at that - my  parents were so young at the time, they would have only been a couple of years older than my son is now. It's crazy how fast the years go by.

When I was growing up, my mom's version of mac and cheese always had tomatoes in it. She would mix a can of stewed tomatoes, a can of tomato soup and lots of Cheddar cheese into the cooked macaroni. As a kid I remember this being incredibly delicious, but when I have made the same thing as an adult, it just never tastes quite as good as I remember. It must have been missing that mother's touch.

I came up with this mac and cheese the other day, and I was  pretty impressed with the results. I made a basic cheese sauce and mixed that with the cooked pasta. I added a grated zucchini to the pasta sauce. Then I poured the whole thing into a greased casserole dish and topped it with sliced tomatoes and a herbed panko mixture. Wow! Was it ever good. The best part of the whole thing was the - wait for it - zucchini. The zucchini really brought the whole thing together, which is pretty strange considering that zucchini is not really the most flavourful ingredient. I mean - can you even describe the flavour of  zucchini? It's tough, right?

 Herbed Tomato Crusted Mac and Cheese

16 oz box small  pasta, I used rotini

Cheese sauce:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 small onion, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups grated cheese, a combination of Mozza, Parmesan, Swiss and Provolone
pinch of grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
one medium zucchini, grated

Topping:
1 large ripe tomato, sliced thinly
1/4 cup butter melted
1/2 cup panko ( Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 garlic clove, finely minced
extra cheese for topping

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water, three or four minutes less than the cooking time on box. Drain. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter, add onion and cook until softened. Add flour. Cook for one or two minutes. Whisk in the milk. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in cheese, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Mix into cooked pasta. Add grated zucchini. Pour into greased, deep casserole dish. Top with sliced tomato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Mix butter with panko, parsley and garlic. Sprinkle evenly over tomato slices. Sprinkle a little grated cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serves 6

Tags: Mac and Cheese, Main, Pasta

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet and Spicy Glazed Button Bones

Button bones are very similar to spareribs, but have a flat, circular bone. A quick Wikipedia check tells me that they are  taken from the bottom 5 or 6 bones located underneath the rib cage. I think button bones sound like something in a children's nursery rhyme - "Have you seen the button bones.. the button bones...the button bones... La La Laaaaa


Sweet and Spicy Glazed Button Bones
servings: 4
recipe source: Beer. Butter. Bacon


2 tsp. Sambal Olek
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. Sriracha
1/2 tsp. salt
black pepper
1 lb. pork button bones
sliced scallions and toasted sesame seeds for garnishing
Pour all ingredients in a large plastic zip lock bag. Marinade in fridge 6-8 hours. Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet 40-50 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly. Turn often during cooking.


Tags: Asian, Button Bones, Pork

Light Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Roasted Garlic

Traditionally, Fettuccine Alfredo is a simple dish made with heavy cream, lots of butter, lots of Parmigiano Cheese and pasta.  Delicious? Yes!   Figure friendly? No!   A couple of months ago, I would have had no problem inhaling a big bowl of this buttery, cheesy goodness, but times have changed and I am now really trying to be aware of every bite of food that I eat. Whenever I am contemplating eating higher calorie foods, I ask myself - " Is it worth the calories?" The answer is almost always no. I have discovered that I can make a healthier, lower calorie version of almost any dish that I am craving, that tastes just as good- if not better- than the original.



Light Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Roasted Garlic
serves: 3 to 4

1 tsp. olive oil
2 whole heads of garlic, roasted and peeled
4 oz. light cream cheese, cut into cubes ( let cream cheese come to room temp.)
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano, plus extra …

Pasta alla Carbonara with Mushrooms

Pasta alla Carbonara - literally translated is"Coal Miner's Spaghetti" in Italian. Carbonara is a classic Italian dish  that is quick, relatively simple and requires only a few key ingredients; pasta, cured pork, eggs and cheese.
Timing is everything when it comes to making the perfect carbonara. Toss the hot pasta with the raw eggs and cheese, add a bit of the starchy cooking liquid and stir vigorously until a creamy sauce is achieved. This is the tricky part -  the pasta has to be as hot as possible, but removed from the heat or it will scramble the eggs. If the pasta isn't hot enough, the eggs won't be cooked and you will be left with a soupy mess. Salmonella is never a popular guest at a dinner party.

Have a hot date coming up? Pull this one out of your bag of tricks and you are going to look like a culinary rock star. Move over Mario Batali!




Pasta alla Carbonara with Mushrooms
(serves 2 -3)

3 strips center cut bacon, chopped
2 cups sliced button mushrooms
1/2 small…